For USAction affiliate job openings, please click here.
USAction Development Internship – Summer 2013
USAction builds power by uniting people locally and nationally, on-the-ground and online, to win a more just and progressive America. Over the past ten years, with our 21 independent state affiliates and partners, we have helped to create successful national coalitions to register hundreds of thousands of voters, stop the privatization of Social Security and pass national health care reform. Right now, we are working to lead the fight to close corporate tax loopholes, cut wasteful pentagon spending, and protect Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security from any cuts to benefits.
USAction seeks an intern to work in our Development Department. This internship is ideal for a college or graduate student interested in work in the nonprofit sector, as the intern will receive a well-rounded perspective of a national nonprofit organization’s activities and operations. The position will provide a unique and involved internship experience for a dedicated individual. While a significant amount of the work will revolve around updating and maintaining our data systems, the intern will also have the opportunity to assist in many areas of development: donor stewardship, marketing, research and event planning, grant writing and copy-editing, along with general administrative work. The position also includes the opportunity to attend and provide input at weekly development planning meetings with the executive director and development staff.
While no fundraising experience is required, we seek a motivated candidate with:
- A desire to work in fundraising and/or the non-profit field
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- An energetic and flexible attitude
- Attention to detail
- Ability to use standard Microsoft Office software
- Database experience preferred but not required
- Creative approaches to problem-solving
- A commitment to progressive issues
We will provide any information you need in order to count the internship toward college credit, if desired. This position will pay $10 per hour, for a minimum of 20 hours per week, possibly full-time for the right candidate. Desired start date is late May or early June. This position is located in our Washington, D.C. office.
If interested, please send your resume and a cover letter discussing your interest and availability to email@example.com. Please title your documents in the following format: Last, First Name – Document Title.
USAction Campaign Internship – Summer 2013
Join us for an excellent opportunity to work on key federal and state issues ranging from immigration reform to tax fairness and reshaping the bloated Pentagon budget. USAction, a national progressive grassroots organization builds power by creating dynamic issue campaigns online and in the field. Over the past ten years, with our 21 independent state affiliates and partners, we have helped lead the fight for an America that works for all to win national health reform, repeal the Bush tax cuts, to stop the privatization of Social Security and help end the war in Iraq. Right now, we are working to lead the fight to make corporations pay their fair share in taxes, rein in wasteful pentagon spending, and to protect student loans and vital programs like Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and the Affordable Care Act. We also focus on civic engagement and the need to register and mobilize voters each and every election cycle.
USAction is seeking an intern, based in Washington, D.C., to support the work of our campaign and field team. Each intern has the opportunity to work with most members of our staff to gain experience in different program areas and to understand the strategies of national campaigns and organizations. Our interns play a significant role in supporting and tracking our events and actions in the field. In addition, each intern has the opportunity to create and carry out their own unique project to complete during their stay. The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to social and economic justice and progressive policies, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong attention to detail and reside in, or be able to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area.
- Research, compile, document and quantify activity and events conducted by our 21 state-based affiliates and partners on issue campaigns related to USAction’s federal issues campaign agenda.
- Compile/distribute press clips and examples of USAction’s and its affiliates’ presence in the traditional news-media as well as in social media venues such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Attend and support staff at national and regional conference calls and meetings.
- Attend and report back on seminars, briefings, and presentations by allied groups and partner organizations.
- Suggest and write posts for USAction’s social media outlets, including the blog, Facebook and Twitter.
- Support creation and maintenance of electronic files related to USAction’s national and state-based legislative and electoral work.
- Support Field and Program staff in tracking and following up with affiliates and coalition partners for campaign sign-ons and grassroots activities.
- Work to create a summer long project based on organizational needs and intern experience/interests
- Past projects have ranged from analyzing weekly canvass results to creating a database of stories.
- Support the Field and Program staff with regular administrative responsibilities and support all staff on special projects and needs.
We seek a motivated candidate with:
- Excellent communication skills, including a strong attention to detail
- A positive and flexible attitude
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and general understanding of social media platforms. Experience working with Adobe design software is a plus
- A desire to work in progressive politics or the non-profit sector
- Energy and desire to learn and engage with a dynamic organization
To apply, send a cover letter with your dates of availability, resume, and references to EEinhorn@usaction.org
For more information, please contact Emma Einhorn at EEinhorn@usaction.org.
USAction is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, LGBT people, people with disabilities and people of color to apply. We work hard to recruit, retain, and identify leadership positions for staff members who represent these communities and/or who are from low-income backgrounds.