For USAction affiliate job openings, please click here.
USAction Campaign Internship – Winter 2013 / Spring 2014
Join us for an excellent opportunity to work on key federal and state issues ranging from immigration reform to tax fairness and reshaping the bloated Pentagon budget. USAction, a national progressive grassroots organization builds power by creating dynamic issue campaigns online and in the field. Over the past ten years, with our 21 independent state affiliates and partners, we have helped lead the fight for an America that works for all to win national health reform, repeal the Bush tax cuts, to stop the privatization of Social Security and help end the war in Iraq. Right now, we are working to lead the fight to make corporations pay their fair share in taxes, rein in wasteful pentagon spending, and to protect student loans and vital programs like Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and the Affordable Care Act. We also focus on civic engagement and the need to register and mobilize voters each and every election cycle.
USAction is seeking an intern, based in Washington, D.C., to support the work of our campaign and field team. Each intern has the opportunity to work with most members of our staff to gain experience in different program areas and to understand the strategies of national campaigns and organizations. Our interns play a significant role in supporting and tracking our events and actions in the field. In addition, each intern has the opportunity to create and carry out their own unique project to complete during their stay. The ideal candidate will have a strong commitment to social and economic justice and progressive policies, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong attention to detail and reside in, or be able to relocate to the Washington, D.C. area.
- Research, compile, document and quantify activity and events conducted by our 21 state-based affiliates and partners on issue campaigns related to USAction’s federal issues campaign agenda.
- Compile/distribute press clips and examples of USAction’s and its affiliates’ presence in the traditional news-media as well as in social media venues such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Attend and support staff at national and regional conference calls and meetings.
- Attend and report back on seminars, briefings, and presentations by allied groups and partner organizations.
- Suggest and write posts for USAction’s social media outlets, including the blog, Facebook and Twitter.
- Support creation and maintenance of electronic files related to USAction’s national and state-based legislative and electoral work.
- Support Field and Program staff in tracking and following up with affiliates and coalition partners for campaign sign-ons and grassroots activities.
- Work to create a summer long project based on organizational needs and intern experience/interests
- Past projects have ranged from analyzing weekly canvass results to creating a database of stories.
- Support the Field and Program staff with regular administrative responsibilities and support all staff on special projects and needs.
We seek a motivated candidate with:
- Excellent communication skills, including a strong attention to detail
- A positive and flexible attitude
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and general understanding of social media platforms. Experience working with Adobe design software is a plus
- A desire to work in progressive politics or the non-profit sector
- Energy and desire to learn and engage with a dynamic organization
To apply, send a cover letter with your dates of availability, resume, and references to EEinhorn@usaction.org
For more information, please contact Emma Einhorn at EEinhorn@usaction.org.
USAction is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, LGBT people, people with disabilities and people of color to apply. We work hard to recruit, retain, and identify leadership positions for staff members who represent these communities and/or who are from low-income backgrounds.