The great American middle class, the engine of our economy, wasn’t created by accident. We build the middle class by decisions we made together, through our government, to provide security and opportunity for our families and make investments that paved the way for business and industries to grow.
But today working and middle class families are getting crushed while the richest are getting richer and corporations cut our wages and benefits and ship our jobs overseas. To build a strong middle class, we need our government to work for all Americans, not just the rich and powerful. At USAction, we are fighting together to take back our country and rebuild the dream – good jobs, secure health care and a strong economy, with liberty and justice for all.
To raise the money to pay for the things we need, USAction believes:
- We must allow the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans expire, and tax millionaires and billionaires appropriately.
- We must close corporate loopholes and eliminate off-shore tax havens.
- We must end wasteful Pentagon spending on outdated, obsolete weapons systems, and bring a responsible end to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
With this newly recovered revenue, USAction believes:
- We must invest in our infrastructure. Restoring roads and bridges and rebuilding crumbling public schools won’t just make America stronger, better. It will create jobs. Good jobs.
- We must protect and strengthen Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, and defend other vital programs such as Head Start, Pell Grants and food stamps.