Tell the Senate: No Chained CPI Cuts to Social Security!

clee April 9, 2013 130

Help flood Congress with calls opposing cuts to Social Security. We need to strengthen and expand Social Security not cut it.

Can you call your Senators right now toll-free at 1 888-981-7872 and tell them to oppose the Chained CPI Social Security benefit cut?

You can use the script below and report back on your call in the comments.

The average senior lives on less than $20,000 a year and the average payment from Social Security is $15,000.1

It is outrageous to make our seniors suffer today by cutting benefits they earned when the Social Security trust fund is flush for at least two decades. And to fix it beyond that would be an easy fix — all we have to do is lift the cap on Social Security for higher income earners.

Call your Senators TODAY: 1-888-981-7872

Below is a quick script you can work from while you’re on the phone with your Senator’s office:

My name is _______ and I am a constituent from ________.

I’m calling today to ask the Senator to oppose Social Security benefit cuts known as Chained CPI.

Chained CPI is a Social Security benefit cut that would devastate already struggling communities.

Does the Senator support cutting the earned benefits of America’s seniors, veterans and the disabled?

Switching to the chained-CPI would hit all current beneficiaries. After 10 years, benefits would be cut by about $500 a year for the average retiree. After 20 years, benefits would be cut by about $1,000 a year.

Instead of slashing our earned benefits, the Senator should make corporations and millionaires pay their fair share of taxes and rein in wasteful Pentagon spending.

Thanks for your time.

Once your done with your call, please report back in the comments and let us know what your Senator’s staff had to say.

Thanks for all you do!

P.S. Can’t call? Donate $5 now so we can keep fighting to protect the promise of Social Security over the long haul.

1 – “Chained CPI for Social Security would hurt seniors,” The Christian Science Monitor, April 4, 2013

2 – “Strengthen Social Security Fact Sheet,”, February 2013

1. Harry S. Nydick April 10, 2013 at 10:56 am - Reply

I did this yesterday.
    The person who answered the White House line sounded irritated, was non-committal and did not bother to ask my name nor where I am from. My Representative’s office was very nice, took down all of my information and double checked to be sure it was correct. Senator Laughtenberg’s office took down my info, but did not elaborate. Senator Menendez’ office was very cordial, took down all info, and said that he has spoken out against the chained CPI, but will wait to make a specific public statement until after he has seen the President’s budget proposal.
    I also told the White House how disappointed I am that the President keeps going back on his word and how he needs to remind the Republicans that they lost.
    I told Menendez’ and Rep. Andrews (Laughtenberg is retiring – again – so there was not point in telling his staff) that, no matter how much I appreciate them and all they have done and no matter that I have voted for them every time they ran, I will not support anyone in a primary that has not come out as `100% against the chained CPI.

2. Scott Douglas April 10, 2013 at 10:57 am - Reply

Thank you for the notice. I have contacted Senators Richard Durbin and Mark Kirk expressing my opposition to this proposed cut to Social Security. Outrageous!

3. Donna April 10, 2013 at 11:02 am - Reply

Sent emails to both my senators, adapting your suggested script.

4. Pamela April 10, 2013 at 11:06 am - Reply

Spoke with Senator Schumer’s office. Staff said that he is opposed to the Chained CPI cuts to Soc. Sec.

5. Ivan Sizemore April 10, 2013 at 11:08 am - Reply

I called both IL. senators ,Kirk and Durbin ; left vmail for Kirk , spoke to staff member for Durbin and voiced my opposition to any SS cuts . Thank You .

6. Stephen Paley April 10, 2013 at 11:14 am - Reply

I spoke with an aide to Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida. Her reply was that he did not yet have time to read the President’s proposed budget. (This was a reasonable answer since the President’s budget just came out this morning.) I then told her that maintaining Social Security (and Medicare) without cuts were decisive for me in terms of who received my vote and that I hoped that the Senator would vote on what I considered to be the right side of these issues.

7. Kathleen Cole April 10, 2013 at 11:15 am - Reply

Called both of my Senators from Missouri – staff members said they would pass my opinion on to their respective Senators.

8. Jamie Leopold April 10, 2013 at 11:16 am - Reply

I called and left a message at Senator Leahy’s office.

Completely unnecessary to do the same for Bernie….He’s our guy, and we know how he feels about it!

9. Pamela April 10, 2013 at 11:17 am - Reply

Spoke with Senator Gillibrand’s office. Staff said she is opposed to any cuts to Soc, Sec. He said she hasn’t yet made a public statement re: Chained CPI cuts.

10. Scott Murray April 10, 2013 at 11:23 am - Reply

Left a message for Senator Collins of Maine on CPI and gun control.

11. M Dantin April 10, 2013 at 11:25 am - Reply

Called NY senators and gave message to staff to be passed on.

12. Karen Donahue April 10, 2013 at 11:29 am - Reply

Left a message on Senator Debbie Stabenow’s voice mail.

13. James April 10, 2013 at 11:31 am - Reply

Senator Merkley and Senator Wyden both oppose the chained CPI proposal!

14. Elizabeth Enright April 10, 2013 at 11:35 am - Reply

Left my message on the voice mail of Sen. Flake of AZ. Sen McCain had a “full” mail box therefore I was unable to leave a message ….am certain it would not have had any impact on his decision making at all even if I had been able to leave a message. Never has never will.

15. Pam Krimsky April 10, 2013 at 11:39 am - Reply

Senator Schumer’s rep was curt. Senator Gillibrand’s rep.said she has not come out with any statement on the Chained CPI but she has stated in the past that she’s against any cuts to Social Security. So I said, well, the Chained CPI IS a cut to Social Security!

16. Mark Filetti April 10, 2013 at 11:40 am - Reply

So all I am getting is voicemail, even when dialing my senator’s publicly posted line. Is it appropriate to leave a message with content, or just contact information for them to (never) return my call?

• Janet_Zaso April 10, 2013 at 1:35 pm - Reply

Leave the message.

17. Chris Gorman April 10, 2013 at 11:42 am - Reply

I spoke with Alex in Senator Schumer’s office and asked him to tell Senator Schumer to oppose any cuts to Social Security. He will pass the message on.

I tried to call Senator Gillibrand twice, but the line was busy. I will try again.

18. jennifer April 10, 2013 at 11:44 am - Reply

left a message for bill nelson of florida, hope he will realize the harm this cpi could do.

19. Toni April 10, 2013 at 11:44 am - Reply

Called Senators Cantwell and Murray (WA). Senator Cantwell is opposed to the chained CPI. Left a message for Murray as all lines were busy. I am confident that Senator Murray also opposes the chained CPI.

20. Patrice L. Summers April 10, 2013 at 11:45 am - Reply

I left a msg. for Senator Boxer, and spoke to Senator Feinstein’s aide, Sam, and explained why it is so important for the Senator to oppose chained CPI cuts to our earned Social Security benefits

21. Margaret H April 10, 2013 at 11:48 am - Reply

Spoke with staff in both Gillibrand and Shumer’s offices and they agreed to pass my concerns on to the Senators.

22. Victoria from Kenner April 10, 2013 at 11:51 am - Reply

Senator Vitter’s office said that he believes in upholding promises already made to seniors. I was unable to reach Senator Landreiu’s office..

23. lkeegan April 10, 2013 at 11:52 am - Reply

CO- left messages with both Bennett and Udall to oppose these cuts that affect those who can least afford it.

24. Rich April 10, 2013 at 11:55 am - Reply

Dick Durbin’s office had no “public statement”. I left a message expressing opposition.

25. George E. Milkowski April 10, 2013 at 11:56 am - Reply

I spoke to Durbin’s office staffer who said the Senator hasn’t yet taken a position on chained CPI. I made it clear that I was against the Obama the Republican plan. At Kirk’s office I left a message on his phone answering service.

26. Radh April 10, 2013 at 11:59 am - Reply

Good, called both NY Senators and left a message of opposition to ‘chained CPI Social security cuts’ favored by the President. Best.

27. Gretchen Williams April 10, 2013 at 12:00 pm - Reply

I called Colorado Senators Udall & Bennett – using your script….for Udall I left a message, for Bennett, I spoke with a staff member.

28. Clifford Cline April 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm - Reply

When I called the senators office I was transferred to his Aid and then the phone was picked up and hung up instantly This is what our government does I tried at least 4 times and the same thing happened every time pickup and hang up, making it impossible to express your feelings to anyone in the New York Senate’s office.

• Janet Zaso April 10, 2013 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Leave a voice mail. At least we can fill up their boxes.

• Amyrose33 April 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I got through to both of my Senators from NY. Senator Gillibrand is “working to make sure these cuts are off the table” I left my opinion with a nice man from Senator Schumer’s office, but forgot to ask his position. I tried to call back 3 times; the phone would ring, then go ‘busy’. I’m guessing that they are being swamped with calls.

29. Jan April 10, 2013 at 12:01 pm - Reply

I’ve tried twice to reach Sen. Nelson of Florida. Once I was told the mailbox was full; the second time, the phone just rang with no answer. How anyone could even consider these cuts while letting wealthy people off the hook for paying their fair share in taxes is beyond me.

30. Ronni April 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm - Reply

Both my NY state senators had their underlings giving non-committal ” thanks for your input, I’ll let her/him know” statements. In other words, ” go away little person”.

• Janet Zaso April 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm - Reply

The more calls they get, the bigger we little people will get. Let’s keep it up!

31. margaret April 10, 2013 at 12:06 pm - Reply

left messages with staff for both Senator Cornyn and Cruz. The messages will be passed along.

32. Kathleen April 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm - Reply

NC Calls: Called Sen. Kay Hagan and Sen. Richard Burr’s offices. Left a message for Sen. Hagan. Spoke with an aide for Sen. Burr who said, “Your not the first person who has called with this same concern.” That’s a good sign!

33. Kevin sweeney April 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm - Reply

I spoke with aides for Susan Colins and Angus King. Both had the same basic response: the Senator has not not a decision and the Senator has not issued a statement. Both offered to send a letter or E-mail. I informed them I was uninterested in the usual senatorial form letter that says nothing. I insisted on receiving a simple yes or no to the question “Do yu support chained CPI?”
    I informed them of the results of the AARP Maine survey on Chained CPI and told them this was a litmus test issue: I will not vote for ayone who supports Chaied CPi.

34. Carl April 10, 2013 at 12:12 pm - Reply

I called Sens. Bennett and Udall of Colorado. In neither case did staff members ask me who I was and neither said where the senators stood on this issue. They did say they’d pass the information along.

35. Cypress Ridge April 10, 2013 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Sen. Boxer’s office: Got a voice mail and left a message. Spoke to Jared in Sen. Feinstein’s office. Was told she has not made a statement yet, will do so soon, but has always supportedf Social Security benefits. I asked that he also ask her to support Sen. Sanders’ idea for strengthening Social Security by lifting the contribution cap on wages instead impacting retiree well-being.

36. Yvonne Decelis April 10, 2013 at 12:18 pm - Reply

My call to Elizabeth Warren went very well. She is very opposed to the cuts. Leaving word with Kerry’s office too (he is not as progressive as she is and I’m not a fan of his but if he cares about seniors and the disabled now would be a great time for him to prove it, imo. Then again, I think Kerry has been replaced.)

37. massachusetts April 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm - Reply

I called, spoke to staff – they were polite and pointless, either the politicians are on board or not – we don’t really hold them accountable by our votes and they play the game to their own advantage – so they will do what they will do.

38. Tony Saprano April 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm - Reply

I called Sen Warner Va and talked to his rep. I identified myself and asked what Mr Warner’s position was on Chained CPI. The rep told me that his position was “Unknown” I told the his rep that I was a life long Dem voter and contributed money to all Dem campaigns, And if he voted for “Chained CPI” I will quit supporting the Dem party.
    Mr Warner is running for reelection.. Let’s see if he wants my support !!

39. Kate Sullivan April 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Left message appossing CPI cuts with Senator Dianne Feinstein’s staffer she did not know the Senator’s position on CPI.

• MoniqueDC April 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm - Reply

I’m sure she has a position. She just isn’t sharing it.

• kristine08 April 10, 2013 at 3:39 pm - Reply

That means she SUPPORTS the cuts….

40. Ella Avance April 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm - Reply

I called and left message!

41. Rick April 10, 2013 at 12:30 pm - Reply

I left a message on Sen. Boxer’s voice mail. Sen. Feinstein does NOT offer voicemail messages and disconnects automatically after 2 min. O message lfet, just disconnected

• Janet Zaso April 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm - Reply

That sucks! Doesn’t make sense. I thought all Senators had voicemail.

42. Karen Hedwig Backman April 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Called the local offices. Told them I am a recipient of Social Security and how it would hurt me. Gave the corporate and millionaire and Pentagon spending spiel. Added that obviously, Obama was hoping I wouldn’t live 20 years, since there’s the odd chance I might, I said I thought we might need a third party.

43. -KenC April 10, 2013 at 12:31 pm - Reply

Left a message for Senator Cantwell — her office is being flooded with calls it seems. :-)

44. Jacqueline Edwards April 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm - Reply

Spoke to a rep. in Senator King’s office who said he will pass on my message. For Senator Collins got voice mail and left the script on her voice mail with my name address and number.

45. -KenC April 10, 2013 at 12:35 pm - Reply

Left a message for Senator Patty Murray — also flooded. :-)

46. M. Sims April 10, 2013 at 12:40 pm - Reply

Lautenberg’s aide took my message, said senator hasn’t come out with a press release yet but has staunchly supported social security. Menendez: reached voice mail, left message.

47. Betty Lemke April 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm - Reply

I called senator McCain & Jeff Flake, both messages were full & couldn’t leave a message. I contacted Patty Murry & left a message to protest CPI. The defecate would be highly reduced if these fat worthless in Washington were tossed out & the salaries cut for the rest; We’re paying a president to play golf & vacation & try to pass stupid laws like this one.

48. I_Am_ReindeerGames April 10, 2013 at 12:49 pm - Reply

I just called NY Sen. Gillibrand’s office and spoke with a staffer. He said that Sen. Gillibrand DOES OPPOSE cuts to SS & Medicare. I said that I’m glad to hear that, and that I think it’s good for her to hear from her constituents, and how upset they are about this.

49. I_Am_ReindeerGames April 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm - Reply

I just called NY Sen. Schumer’s office. The staff member asked for my zip code & said she would pass on my comments to Sen. Schumer. She did not say whether he opposes the chained CPI or not.

50. Gerald Orcholski April 10, 2013 at 12:59 pm - Reply

I called both my senators. I suggested that the way to make SS whole is to lift the cap for higher income earners, which would be me, but not to fix the budget on the backs of poor seniors who survive mostly on the SS they get.

51. June F McGinnis April 10, 2013 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Spoke with Sen. Bill Nelson’s staffer. She said he is against cuts but wanted my last name and zip & opinion as to Chained CPIs. I barely get by now on Soc Sec and VA disability. I am a Vietnam Era Vet and permanently totally disabled so I asked him to not support any compromises like CPIs that will reduce my benefits any more.

52. amy in CA April 10, 2013 at 1:09 pm - Reply

Initially called Sen. Feinstein, but got a busy signal. Called and left a message for Sen. Boxer stating my opposition to the chained CPI. Tried Sen. Feinstein again and spoke with Jared. Explained my position on the chained CPI, and also urged Feinstein to push for reauthorization of the Older Americans Act, which complements Social Security benefits to keep seniors safe and independent at home.

53. Ellen Franzen April 10, 2013 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Left a message for Senator Boxer stating that I am 63 and have been unemployed since June 2008 and have been unable to save for retirement since then, so will require all my Social Security when I file when I am 70. I emphasized that I am opposed to chained CPI or any other cuts, especially since it won’t affect the budget deficit.

54. Ann April 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Left a message with Sen. Lautenburg. We will see! We depend on our benefits.

55. Janet Zaso April 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Left voice messages to Senators’ Warner and Kaine. Hopefully they are listening and will not only take our messages seriously, but lobby other Senators to do so as well.

56. Allie Tennant April 10, 2013 at 1:30 pm - Reply

I called Bill Nelson and a recording told me to go to his website if I wanted to leave a comment as their lines were too busy to take my call. I called three times with the same result.

57. Malcolm Blue April 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Both Senators’ local Offices were called. I left my name and zip code and the request. Each said my comments would be passed along to the Senators.

58. Jaykaygee43 April 10, 2013 at 1:33 pm - Reply

Senator Kerry’s stand-in (awaiting replacement by the June special election) has a staffer who answered the phone. She reports that the senator is “in favor of a balanced approach.” I interrupted her to say that the solution lies in removal of the income cap on earnings subject to Payroll Tax, not in lowering the benefits by altering the Consumer Price Index. U.S. Senators are, by definition, earners within the class of those whose Payroll Tax stops when their income exceeds the current, “cap”. I told her I didn’t want him to vote for the benefit of those employers and stock-holders whose policies have been to keep wages low, resulting in depleted Payroll Tax collections from underpaid workers.

59. Dottie Butler April 10, 2013 at 1:35 pm - Reply

left message opposing CPI cuts with Sens Nelson and Rubio

60. Paula April 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm - Reply

Both my Senators, Patrick Leahy, and Bernie Sanders, strongly oppose the Chained CPI. I passed along the message to them that so many of us now on Social Security who will be affected so adversely by this in the years ahead, were supporters of the President and gave to his campaign. We are NOT happy with him now because of this, and if this goes through, there will be a rude shock to him in the midterm elections. He can’t really afford to have fewer Democrats in Congress, but I’m afraid that’s what will happen if there is a chained CPI , OR big cuts to Medicare.

61. Martha Knobler April 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm - Reply

I called both Senator’s offices and urged them to oppose chained CPI benefit cuts.

62. patriciahughes April 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Schumer and Gillibrand are against the Chained CPI.

63. Joe Freeman lll April 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm - Reply

I spoke to both Richard Blumenthal’s and Murphy’s staffer’s and thought that what I said doe’s count so that they would take a stand againt’s cutting Social Security , Medicare, and Medicaid for people who deserve their benefit’s from being cut. I hope my word doe’s good in preventing this from happening, your’s J.F.

64. CSETI Rick April 10, 2013 at 2:00 pm - Reply

I called Senator Mark Udall’s office and talked to his staff rep. And delivered the message. I was told that Udall hasn’t made a decision yet on CPI changes. I also voice my opinion that cuts to Social Security is a threat to the economy and National Security. Saying instead of cuts to Social Security. We should cut pentagon waste spending. Close bases in Japan and Germany, etc. Bring the money home and use it to fix the needs of we the people.

65. Tom w April 10, 2013 at 2:16 pm - Reply

Spoke to an aid, senator is completely on bord to oppose cuts in SS.

66. Albert Zax April 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm - Reply

Left word on Senator Blumenthatl’s voice mail and spoke to a staffer for Senator Murphy who said the senator agreed with opposing the cuts and that he would advise the senator of my call.

67. MoniqueDC April 10, 2013 at 2:27 pm - Reply

Spoke with Mikuli and Cardin offices (Maryland). They are both opposed to the Chain CPI. (and why is Obama doing this? My hope is that it is just a negotiating tactic….)

68. Judith McCarthy April 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm - Reply

I reached Senator Martin Heinrich’s office (D, NM) and his staff person said he is opposed to cuts in the form of chained CPIs

69. Lynn Burnett April 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Spoke with both Senators Murray and Cantwell’s aides and they cordially thanked me for my input and assured me that both Senators agreed whole heartedly.

70. luerluer April 10, 2013 at 2:38 pm - Reply

I called Senator Feinstein’s office and explained that I’d voted for her since the beginning of her time in office and that I’d been there since mayor Moscone and Harvey Milk were assassinated. I also explained that I’d made a promise to myself that, in the future, I would vote for anybody else if the senator failed to vigorously oppose the Chained CPI proposal – which she hasn’t done so far. A this time Senator Feinstein appears to still favor the Chained CPI ‘bargain’ if I’m to take her at her word. In her e-mail responses to me she is still consistently leaning towards casting her vote in favor of the Chained CPI proposal. To me, that’s unconscionable and unacceptable.

71. Angela Black April 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm - Reply

Called and left message for Sen. Boxer and spoke to staffer in Sen. Feinstein’s office.

72. Peter April 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm - Reply

Left my opinion (no cuts) with the LA offices of Boxer and Feinstein. The attendants both said neither Senator had an opinion. That makes no sense, how could they not have an opinion on this!? The problem with our country is that we are a war economy. We spend more than the amount on military than the next 10 countries combined. We could cut our military budget be 50% and still be spending more than any other country. Just imagine what a great country we could have! But fear is too strong, the profits from military spending are too large. The corporations want to own everything, including Social Security – they can make billions! Using the money for profit and if it doesn’t work out, the taxpayers will have to bail them out there, as well. And as to out sourcing, the corporations don’t want to do that, its very expensive. They are setting up our “middle class” to be the same class as the people in so called third world countries that they get to work for $1 per hour – they just want to have it here in the USA, so they don’t have to bother outsourcing. Have a nice day.

73. Apocℒℴlypse ☥ April 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm - Reply

I left a message.

74. Matt Sorvillo April 10, 2013 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Sen. Dean Heller of Nevada’s line didn’t even ring, just automatically hung up. No staffer answered at Sen. Harry Reid’s office, but I was at least able to leave a message.

75. Kermit April 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm - Reply

Called Senator Warren’s office. I got voice mail and left a message. Reached Senator Cowen’s office (Kerry’s replacement) and was told by a staff person that the senator opposes cuts to Medicare, but when questioned about the chained CPI, I was then told the senator hasn’t formed an opinion yet and wants to hear from all of us.

76. dan cha April 10, 2013 at 3:25 pm - Reply

Left a message for Boxer- cannot get through to Feinstein – will try later

77. Amyrose33 April 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm - Reply

I got through to both of my Senators from NY. Senator Gillibrand is “working to make sure these cuts are off the table” I left my opinion with a nice man from Senator Schumer’s office, but forgot to ask the Senator’s position. I tried to call back 3 times; the phone would ring, then go ‘busy’. I’m guessing that they are being swamped with calls.

78. Karen Hinson April 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm - Reply

I left messages for Senators King and Collins. Staffers were very vocal… hmmmm… they said, without passion. I pointed out that our state has the oldest population and rarely gets any COLAs and got more of the hmmmm, with an “I’ll pass this along. Jeeze, someone take a stand!

79. kristine08 April 10, 2013 at 3:38 pm - Reply

Senator Blumenthal, does NOT support these cuts. I am on disability because of a drunk driver. It does not seem right to make me, or others like me, including veterans or the elderly to suffer because of the greedy GOP.

80. Sigrid Ramos April 10, 2013 at 3:54 pm - Reply

Phoned both Boxer and Feinstein. It’s always easier to reach Boxer. I stated that SS and Medicare should not be on the table for a deal w/ Republicans.

81. ubhard April 10, 2013 at 4:06 pm - Reply

I called Feinstein’s office and was informed by a recording that she was on another line and to leave a message. That’s when her system hung up on me and I was unable to leave a message. So much for wanting to listen to her constituent!

82. hselburn April 10, 2013 at 4:14 pm - Reply

I left a message with Senator Boxers voicemail and spoke with Senator Feinsteins staffer. I didn’t get the senators position, but I was able to convey the message to vote against the chained CPI. I hope it helps. The President didn’t listen to 2 million people. That’s unconcealed. I won’t vote for Hillary or Joe in 2016. I hope someone we can believe in runs in 2016. Like Senator Sanders of Vermont!

• hselburn April 10, 2013 at 4:15 pm - Reply

I meant unconciable.

• Syls May 14, 2013 at 4:08 am - Reply

Not a word, dude. Try again.

• Syls May 14, 2013 at 4:08 am - Reply

What does Hillary have with Obama’s failure to govern as a democrat? She tried to tell you all in the 2008 primaries that he was a republican in dem’s clothing and not a single one of you would listen to her. And now it’s her fault that he’s never once acted as a real Democratic President would have? People are incredible.

83. Kathy April 10, 2013 at 4:31 pm - Reply

Spoke with Sen. Gillibrand’s staffer. Sen. Gillibrand is against SS cuts. It bothered me that they did not ask for my name or any other info. Just said they’d pass along my message.

84. Cristy Rose April 10, 2013 at 4:34 pm - Reply

I left a message on Senator Boxer’s voicemail. I am quite sure she does not support the cuts. Senator Feinstein’s line is busy every time I try to call, and she effectively cuts herself off from her constituents because when the line is busy you can hold for something like two minutes and then you are cut off and are asked to call back in!!! No voicemail for her.

85. Connie Bain April 10, 2013 at 4:34 pm - Reply

I did make the call, but had to leave a message, and I read the script, this is for Bill Nelson for Senator Rubio, the V/M was full

86. Carolyn April 10, 2013 at 4:36 pm - Reply

One senator already does not support the Chained CPI. The staff person will pass my thoughts along to the other Senator who has not yet declared a position.

87. David White April 10, 2013 at 4:37 pm - Reply

I left messages with staffers for Jeanne Shaheen and Kelly Ayotte. I was told that Senator Shaheen opposes any cuts to SS and that she would likely agree with my position. I was told that Senator Ayotte has not yet released any public position on chained CPI.

88. Jo Ann swatley April 10, 2013 at 4:38 pm - Reply

I called and left a message for Senator Corker. His staffer did not comment on whether Mr. corker is for or against the Chained CPI. Fat too many of our citizens are hurting in this economy and Chained CPI will take money from the pockets of those who can afford it the least! Americans have worked hard all their lives to pay into Social Security that one day there would be something there when they reach those supposed golden years.
    Where are the “Golden Years,” nothing golden about them for far too many of us!!

89. Elaine Kurpiel April 10, 2013 at 4:44 pm - Reply

I called both Senator Casey and Toomey’s office. No one answered and both voicemail boxes were filled. Convenient, huh. Or maybe they are filled with comments about the chained CPI. Hopefully.

90. Kath Allen April 10, 2013 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Senator Shaheen’s staffer, Julia, did not know the senator’s official position. She said she would give my message to Senator Shaheen asking her, with my reasons, to oppose the President’s Chained CPI in his budget.
    Senator Ayotte’s office only had a voice message but I left my message asking the senator to not support the Chained CPI and why I was asking for her to not support it.

91. Alexes Shuman April 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm - Reply

End the entitlements to big oil and other very profitable corporations. We should not cut SS while giving subsidies to big oil. This country is supposed to be about the people.

92. Jacki Henderson April 10, 2013 at 4:54 pm - Reply

Spoke with a staffer of Dick Durbins. She said he has no statements as of yet re: this issue but they are relaying the phone calls/constituents remarks to him.

93. Chalice Wilkreson April 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm - Reply

called Senator Mark Kirk from Illinois and the aide that answered listened politely and let me have my say and told me he would pass it on – he was not combative or disagreeable about my viewpoint .

94. joan alison daniels April 10, 2013 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Senator Tester’s office; left voice mail. Talked to staffer @ Senator Baucus’s office and stated that I would not vote for him if he votes for the cuts. Staffer would not tell me his stance. Baucus is up for re-election in 2014. Also, informed BOTH offices regarding massacre control issues – that I expect them to support universal checks, limit magazines, straw purchasers, etc.

95. Y.Davis April 10, 2013 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Left a voice mail message for both Ted Cruz & John Cronyn.

96. Damon Smith April 10, 2013 at 6:02 pm - Reply

I called Senator Barbara Boxer and left my message against Chained CPI cuts. I was able to get through and talk with a staff person. I call Senator Dianne Feinstein as well but as usual the line was constantly busy. I have never once been able to talk to a staff person for Senator Feinstein in 12 years. I have called her lines many times and I always get a busy signal. I believe they never answer calls at her office and leave the line on automatic busy signal. I think this says something about this Senator. I had to email her instead using her online form which I usually always do as well. An elected official that does not have time for her constituents phone calls is an elected official who doesn’t care what the voters say.

• Mohammad A April 10, 2013 at 6:14 pm - Reply

In DiFi’s defense, I was able to talk to her staffer today for the second time only in so many years. Then, I read part of script opposing the CPI adjustment.

97. Mohammad A April 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm - Reply

I was able to leave a message with Sen Boxer’s voicemail urging her to oppose the “Chained CPI” designed essentially to cut our SS benefits. Sen Feinstein’s phone disconnects after 2 min wait time, but after trying over again and again I was able to get to a staffer. He told Sen DF has not stated her position yet. I told him to urge Sen to oppose the Chained CPI and make position publicly available so we know where she stands.

98. Christine Brazis April 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm - Reply

Left message with Barbara Boxer to stop the madness of these cuts. We all need to fight like hell.

99. Linda A April 10, 2013 at 6:21 pm - Reply

I left messages opposing Chained CPI with Senator Nelson and Senator Rubio

100. Russell Novkov April 10, 2013 at 7:08 pm - Reply

I had just left a message on Senator Tammy Baldwin’s and Senator Ron Johnson’s voice mail,because I ended up calling after hours.

101. John C Otto sr April 10, 2013 at 8:52 pm - Reply

I left a Message on Bob Caseys answering service not to cut ss but to increase it and get rid of this war Of Terror that the 1%ers are creating because were funding it The Battle begins

102. Art Hanson April 11, 2013 at 3:40 am - Reply

Web posted Sen Levin and Sen. Stabenow of MI:

I strongly urge you to oppose Social Security benefit cuts known as Chained CPI.

Chained CPI is a Social Security benefit cut that would devastate already struggling Americans by cutting the earned benefits of America’s seniors and the disabled.

Switching to the chained-CPI would hit all current beneficiaries. After 10 years, benefits would be cut by about $500 a year for the average retiree. After 20 years, benefits would be cut by about $1,000 a year.

Instead of slashing our earned benefits, you should make corporations and millionaires pay their fair share of taxes and rein in wasteful Pentagon spending.

103. Natalie Hanson April 11, 2013 at 6:14 am - Reply

Web posted Sen. Levin and Sen. Stabenow of MI:

Chained CPI is a Social Security benefit cut that would
    devastate already struggling Americans by cutting the earned benefits
    of America’s seniors and the disabled.

Switching to the chained-CPI would hit all current
    beneficiaries. After 10 years, benefits would be cut by about $500 a
    year for the average retiree. After 20 years, benefits would be cut by
    about $1,000 a year.

Instead of slashing our earned benefits, you should
    make corporations and millionaires pay their fair share of taxes and
    rein in wasteful Pentagon spending.

104. Gayle B. Rosenberry April 11, 2013 at 10:56 am - Reply

I spoke to the staff of both Senators’ Mikulski and Cardin and they both oppose cuts to Social Security and the Chained CPI.

105. David Spears April 11, 2013 at 11:36 am - Reply

Left a message on Sen. Jeff Sessions’s voicemail and left a message with one of Sen. Richard Shelby’s staffers.

106. Marion Wipf April 11, 2013 at 11:47 am - Reply

Spoke with Sen. Gillibrand’s office. They confirmed that she agrees with us about no changes to Social Security, medicare or medicaid…..Can’t reach Sen. Schumer’s office but will keep trying.

107. Jennifer Calvert April 11, 2013 at 11:50 am - Reply

Spoke with Maria Cantwell’s staff and was told that she also opposes Chained-CPI, but they appreciated my call showing support for her position. Left a voice mail with Patty Murray’s office.

108. David Houlton April 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm - Reply

Senators Cantwell and Murray oppose any change or reduction of Social Security and Medicare and Medicaid. Congressman Kilmer will get back to me. .

109. 41953 April 11, 2013 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Left a message for Menendez
    Spoke to staffer for Lautenberg who has not yet taken a position, but was told that generally opposes any tampering with Social Security/

110. P Seer April 11, 2013 at 5:23 pm - Reply

spoke with staffers for both Sen’s Merkley and Wyden who said they would pass the message along

111. NancyNurse April 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm - Reply

Why does Congress always penalize the poor, the disabled and seniors? Congress is definitely out-of-touch with their “public,” who elected them into office. They should be ashamed of themselves for their poor treatment of the poor, disabled and seniors. We will remember this reprehensible treatment when we vote at the next election(s).

112. NancyNurse April 11, 2013 at 9:40 pm - Reply

Congress should not be a “privileged group,” who enjoy unlimited perks during elected terms in office and during retirement. They should be mandated to live on Social Security only. Additionally, Congress should be mandated to enroll in Medicare with payouts out of their own pockets for medical coverage like the rest of us pay for coverage. Generous pensions should be eliminated now and in the future for Congress. They get rich from our public monies, which are so frequently mismanaged by them and their greedy friends.

113. John J. Delibos April 12, 2013 at 10:35 am - Reply

I spoke with both Senators’ offices. Dean Heller supports seniors and not the chained CPI. Senator Reid’s offices said that they have always supported Nevada’s Seniors.

114. Jane Wood April 12, 2013 at 5:42 pm - Reply

I spoke with staffers in both my senators office’s. Neither would commit as to whether they supported cuts or how they would vote. They don’t even take your name, address or phone number – just a zip code. How impersonal.

115. ex-Democrat April 13, 2013 at 2:24 am - Reply

An email to Barbara Boxer resulted in an email from Feinstein’s office(!) explaining the ‘need to strengthen Social Security for future generations’. A subsequent one from Boxer herself spoke of ‘protecting Social Security’. It doesn’t take a genius to guess (which is all one can do with these people) where she stands. It’s with Feinstein and Pelosi. Exact same responses from both Ca. senators when I added my name to a protest letter via another site. It’s a fait-accompli! Independent Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont is the only one with the courage to fight these hypocrites. Sign up for his emails and you’ll see what I mean. I’m in California, but he’s getting my money and support from now on.

116. Gabriel Steinfeld April 15, 2013 at 5:20 pm - Reply

Left voice mail for Boxer, left message with staffer of Feinstein.

117. Fred N April 18, 2013 at 6:24 pm - Reply

From WA: Spoke with Sen. Cantwell’s staffer, who emphatically said that she does not support the chained CPI. Spoke with a Sen. Murray staffer, who gave the standard script that he would pass my comments on to the senator.

118. BOB FEDAK September 6, 2013 at 10:22 am - Reply