Tell Your U.S. Senators: Reject the Cuts! Fully Renew Unemployment Insurance for 2012

clee December 14, 2011 80

We need everyone to contact their Senators right now, and urge them to reject the massive cuts to unemployment insurance, and to renew the full federal unemployment insurance program through 2012.

Dial 888-245-3381, and an automated system will connect you with your Senators.

Sample talking points:

Hello, my name is ______________ and I am ________________’s constituent from ____________.

I am calling to urge _______________ to reject the massive cuts to unemployment insurance in the House leadership’s bill. Vote “NO” on the bill that would slash unemployment benefits in every state, cutting more than half of federal UI benefits in the highest unemployment states. Instead, I urge support for immediate action to renew the full federal unemployment insurance program through 2012.

Without prompt action to reauthorize federal unemployment insurance, more than 6 million hardworking Americans will be cut-off of this critical lifeline next year – nearly 2 million in January alone.

Please tell _____________ that I strongly urge the Congress to reject cuts to unemployment insurance and to act now to fully renew federal unemployment insurance through 2012. Thank you.

On Twitter? Join the #ExtendUI tweet-a-thon!

We’re tweeting all day about the importance of unemployment insurance to millions of Americans and the economy at large.

We’re joining with @AFLCIO @NELPnews, @MomsRising, @HERvotes, and @WorkingAmerica to launch an #ExtendUI tweet-a-thon, making the case to #ExtendUI without cuts or preconditions that hurt the 99%. Join in by tweeting with the hashtag #ExtendUI!

1. CaptD December 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm - Reply

Call your Leaders “Local” office also!
    The more calls the BETTER!

2. Thomas O. Nass December 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm - Reply

To the members of the once Honorable Congress and Senate: “Ask not” what you can do for your “Special Interest” proprietors and their Lobbying ghouls, “but ask” what you can do (for a change) for your constituents(A.K.A. your Country)! You do remember that you were hired to represent your Country? Don’t you!
    Tom Nass
    5th Marine Division – WWII

• DHa7763100 December 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm - Reply

Sorry, but these politicians only answer to whatever is giving them the most cash, which, of course, are the corporations. They have no sense of justice anymore. They have broken the oath they took , when being sworn into office.

I say it’s time for a MASS FIRING.

3. Gwilloughby December 14, 2011 at 2:42 pm - Reply

Certainly many people rely on unemployment insurance to help them through tough times

4. Terrangela December 14, 2011 at 2:43 pm - Reply

I called 3 times and was disconnected each time the phone rang to my Senator’s office.

• Strongwind December 15, 2011 at 10:00 am - Reply

These senators need to be named. All the secrecy and fear of repercussions need to be thown out, if the senators are not named how can we know what they stand for. These theiving Repulsivcans depend on your keeping your mouth shut. You are making their day.
      I am from Montana, where we have reberg, who votes republican and stands behind all of the Shenanigans all of the time. Then there is Baucus who calls himself a democrat but votes straight repbullbecan most of the time. It is time to get rid of these people who absolutely refuse to allow our President to get any thing done. I have never seen such idocy. Occupy.

5. fresnodanny December 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm - Reply

I was/am a 99er. Those 99 weeks of unemployment saved my life. No I’m NOT lazy. YES I tried to find work the entire time. Since my benefits/extended benefits ran out over a year ago, I’ve just managed to scrape by. A 56 yr old graphic designer is persona non grata these days. I’m now starting my own business since nobody else will hire me. Thank You Republicans for being so unpatriotic, selfish and greedy! Tom Nass of the 5th Marine Division-WWII has my thanks and gratitude for his comment AND his service. Well written, SIR!

• Anonymous December 14, 2011 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Your comment hits close to home Danny. I’m a 56 yr old graphic designer myself, but I have manged to hold on to my job thru this mess created by the 1%. The 1% the GOP is “defending”. Good luck with your business.

• fresnodanny December 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm - Reply

I’m happy for you, Mark. Thanks for the supportive comment.

• Theresa Pye December 15, 2011 at 11:29 am - Reply

I believe that those who are upholding pledges and oaths other than our Constitution should be charged with treason. All of Congress took an oath to uphold the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic….

• fresnodanny December 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm - Reply

…and it seems more and more, it is THEY who are becoming our domestic enemies. We can’t tell who is who anymore.

6. Lawrence of Okolona December 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm - Reply

I called my shithead senators Mitch “the Grinch” McConnell and “Ayn” Rand Paul and the response from their offices has been quite chilly (and I was polite during my calls). I will be utterly shocked if either one of them voted to continue unemployment insurance reauthorization, but since this is unlikely, my call to them was basically to harrass them and to “remind” them of their 99% true boss (the Godfather calls this “an offer they can’t refuse”; Mitch called it compromise…).

• Mezzel2811 December 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm - Reply

I am also from Kentucky & have called, written & pleaded with them to consider the rest of us. (the 99%). The responses I have gotten show just how out of touch with reality they really are. Ellitist assholes with no compassion. Who voted these jerks into office. I know I didn’t vote for either of them.

• Mike December 14, 2011 at 9:32 pm - Reply

These Republican Congressman only act as if they work for the people during election time. After that they go back to serving those that bought their loyalty, the corporate special interests who want to rule the country and defund govt out of existience. Republican are against any type of Wall Street regualtion, consumer protections environmentla protections, education for all, Social Security, Medicare, the list goes on an don. Any middle class person who wotes for them is a sucker. Do they really think the Republican Party has the back of the middle class? They are way too busy making sure the rich get richer at everyone else’s expense.

7. Ben December 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm - Reply

This is getting completely out of hand. These Republican traitors are actually in the game of harming Americans, in the name of fiscal responsibility. I would like to urge all Americans to push an urgent measure/action to have all these Republicans arrested for treason. Arrest them NOW!

• Guy Falkes December 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm - Reply

Rope is cheap.

• Basil Salah December 15, 2011 at 4:52 am - Reply

Yes, use some rope, hang them upside down, and dunk all of the TEA Partyiers in the harbor (for a week!)

• Bird Brain December 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm - Reply

did they EVER read the bible or the 10 commandmants? number 5 clearly states: “thou SHALT not steal”

• Mcstyling December 14, 2011 at 9:18 pm - Reply

The GOP fights tooth and nail against abolutely any fraction cuts to the income of the wealthy but will cut the complete income of unemployed people who are almost living out on the street, in a heart beat. If you don’t get out and vote these bastards out of office you are committing suicide America. If you know an older person who needs help getting to the polls, or someone who needs help getting to the DMV to get a voter ID in voter repression states, help them out. These oligarchs have to be destroyed or they will destroy us.

• Theresa Pye December 15, 2011 at 11:30 am - Reply

I agree with you Ben.

8. Terrangela December 14, 2011 at 2:48 pm - Reply

Worked on the 5th try. :) Thank you for what you do!

9. Politicaljan December 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm - Reply

There are somehow billions of dollars, some unaccounted for, to wage war in Iraq and Afghanistan, but all of a sudden there’s no money here to compensate people for the work they do or the work they lose through no fault of their own. Republicans seem to think we will blame President Obama. The blame is squarely on the shoulders of the Grand Obstructionist Party.

• Basil Salah December 15, 2011 at 4:50 am - Reply

War is good for business. Watch. Before you know it, we will be at war with Iran. Halliburton can continue overcharging us for the meals they provide ($50.00 per!) and helping with our military’s laundry ($100. per bag!). And all of the other government contractors that love war with their rape and plunder of charges. Need I say more?

10. Q.R. MacLean December 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm - Reply

I live in WA state, and have often had occasion to call Senators Murray and Cantwell with concerns about issues such as this. Cantwell rarely responds, Murray generally does with extraordinary letters explaining her position, whether pro or con, and does it in such a way that it sounds as though they were drafted for me alone. Larsen only communicates with me when he wants something and I have very little regard for his choices/votes, much like Cantwell. As our system of government is based principles formulated in Greece long ago, it might be a good idea to return to it. Those serving as public representatives took no salary, received no pensions, health benefits, or perks adding up to $69+K/year; it was considered an honor and responsibility to serve, and terms were limited to 2 years. Maybe back to our “roots”? As so many people are losing their jobs due to outsourcing, ageism, technology (I just love dealing with automated voice menus which never offer the option you want, wasting my time, and ultimately doing companies’ jobs for them!). Most of our legislators should be ashamed of what they do, receive, and the incredible amount of taxpayer, corporate monies to support their lavish lifestyles. Look at the attendance and voting records of some of these people; it’s shocking, appalling and ultimately demoralizing.

11. Rosa Antoine December 14, 2011 at 5:42 pm - Reply

What a shame on all of the of these people who are being driven to be Grinches at Christmas. There is something VERY VERY WRONG with this approach to “balancing the budget.” A plague on all your houses!

12. David S. walenski December 14, 2011 at 5:47 pm - Reply

Read the news of late,an internal news media investigation going on about Congress and inside trading with the house and senate. There has been several request that a bill be passed to stop the interference between Wall Street and government with greed and corruption. Government seems to think they are above the law while individuals like Martha Stewart were sent to prison for inside trading. What they are doing is illegal and the Attorney General needs to prosecute those that did. The ethic committee is to weak to do what is right in this case.How can Congress do anything for its constituents with special interest standing in our way.

13. MARY CARLSON December 14, 2011 at 6:18 pm - Reply

Everyone has a right to medical services!

14. Denise Kittle December 14, 2011 at 6:21 pm - Reply

I agree- the main voice-mail boxes are full, I agree with CapD – call locally or use their email addresses. I know everyone is as upset as I am, and we must take action. I am from Michigan, I am currently unemployed, with a recently earned Master’s in Psychology. I have gotten no job offers in my field, and am trying to obtain licensure in Michigan, but it is terribly difficult. This is horrible to cut my unemployment and still have so many requirements to get a job in a very weak market. What is the purpose of this – so that they can make more money in the stock market and not pay taxes??? Thanks to everyone who is taking action!

15. Stvn Gray December 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm - Reply

I am getting so tired of this CRAP. I do work for the Federal Goverment @ the VA Health care system. I am a Disabled Vet and I feel I am serving again. All these @*^$^& ppl in Washington do is take digs at us 99%. Us workers in the fed gov make less than our conterparts in the private sector yet have more responsibility and accountability. They have froze our pay for 2 yrs (which they did to our disablabled Vets) and want to freeeze it for 3-5 more.
    I don’t see them freezing their pay or pensions. They make MORE than any average American that actually run this country and support our poeple.
    This CRAP with not extending UI payments is obsurded. I do agree with drug testing for a condition of payment because ppl do play the system. BUT many are good honest folk just trying to make it.
    I am SO tired of this CRAP of them trying to protect the 1%.

• Paul December 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm - Reply

I agree with all but the drug testing. The UI was taken out of our paycheck each and every week. They didn’t drug test when they took the insurance premiums, they shouldn’t drug test to pay the claim. Plus, where will they get the money to drug test 15 million people?

• Johnnyuma December 15, 2011 at 9:18 am - Reply

This is NOT TRUE. Employers…NOT employees pay into the unemployment system. better look at your check stub again!!!

16. Babunina10 December 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm - Reply

What is going on today is criminal. I am a lucky one not relying on unemployment, however many today who are on unemployment are desparately searching for work, and jobs they are qualified for not some minimum wage job which is far below their qualifications. This country is in real trouble when it lays off thousands of teachers and counselors which effects the childrens education and their futures. Shame on America

17. Alan G December 14, 2011 at 7:00 pm - Reply

This is truly the end of democracy and the rise of the ugliest side of ideology at any cost whatsoever, funded and fueled as it is by multi-billionaires and mega corporate lobbyists in coercing ordinary citizens to abandon their own and their peers’ interests in the headlong rush to quicker and greater profits for the rich and powerful.

• Len December 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm - Reply

All part of the Great Oligarchy Plot.

18. Ani December 14, 2011 at 7:22 pm - Reply

Sen. Feinstein’s voicemail would not allow a message, and directed me to call one of their offices, but gave no phone numbers. Sen. Boxer allowed an option to leave a comment, which I did.

19. Jean Toles December 14, 2011 at 7:47 pm - Reply

It’s shameful to even discuss unemployment as a bargaining tool when it has been a mainstay of America for a long, long time. People have to prove they are looking for work in order to collect unemployment. No contingency such as getting a GED, working on a GED, or taking a dehumanizing drug test should be attached to unemployment Unemployment is not a lot of money and by the time you pay for basic necessities, you have very little left to live on. Radical Right Wing Republicans separate themselves from “we, the people.” I’ll bet there are as many drug users amongst the RRWRs as there are among the poor and out-of-work. Also, many wealthy people inherited their wealth or gained it like some of the airlines did which is to declare bankruptcy, fire all employees, “restructure” and hire low-wage earners with no benefits and take most of the money for themselves. Mott Juice told 20-year workers that they had to accept a cut in pay from, $19 to $10 and pay more for their pension and health benefits or quit. They said if the employees don’t like it, they, Mott, can hire people for $9/00 with no benefits. Don’t buy Mott!!!!

20. Kwhitney333 December 14, 2011 at 7:49 pm - Reply

Way to go with the Christmas spirit, oh wait you have no Christmas spirit. You are all poor excuses for public officials…cant wait until you are all voted out.Sleep well knowing that there are children with no food or shelter in the season of giving…You are all pathetic…..

21. Mike December 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm - Reply

…and what is this crap about giving folks earned unemployment benefits to corporations to hold “job fairs”?! What will be the requirements to take this money from those who earned it? How many jobs will they have to committ to creating or will they just set up a table hand out applications and go home with the cash? Who does this new Republican idea help? Right! More corporate welfare at, not only the expense of the middle class and working poor, but now also the unemployed. These carps know no shame or end to their greed! Lots of people have worked 20 and 30 years steady paying into their unemployment INSURANCE. Now when they hit the rough time when they need it Republicans want to take it away give it out as welfare to corporations.

22. Waspandfly December 14, 2011 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Social Darwinism is a rationalization for the “I’m all right Jack” mentality of unfeeling, greedy advantaged people. Totally unAmerican.

23. another old graphic designer December 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm - Reply

I really wish I could afford the government that paid attention to folks who just “pay their salaries’ rather than those “1%ers” who really OWN our “representatives’ . . . . I am looking forward to my grand-kids asking “Gramps, WHAT were republicans? . . and did they REALLY have horns?”

24. Anonymous December 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm - Reply

This kind of stupidity is exactly why I am no longer a Republican! What an outrageously tragic farce of partisan ideology.

25. Scott Taylor December 14, 2011 at 8:59 pm - Reply

I just got laid off today and I was thinking well at least I have some UI although it’s not much.
    But if they take that away I will be entirely screwed. I don’t get this. It is beyond mean spirited, it is unconscionable. Why do they want to destroy us? The backbone of the whole structure. I am truly baffled and very angry/sad.

26. survivor December 14, 2011 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Interesting. Because none of the plutocrats have actually filed for, received unemployment, they have NO idea of the process. When I was on unemployment, I was required to apply for jobs every week..and document it. Using food stamps required me to run a gauntlet of clerks who went out of their way to (try to) humiliate me. Let the congress be made to use the system they created.

check the flow of congress members into and out of corporate say nothing of the monies being paid to them by corporate interests…those corporate individuals. while hedge fund and financial mangers continue to make money by manipulating money, no n one else can be heard.

27. C Moss December 14, 2011 at 9:12 pm - Reply

What has happened to our religious right, the ones that aligned themselves so closely to what Jesus would do? They are the very people working to destroy all the social programs designed to help the poor, homeless and jobless get back on their feet. For years these programs have been slowly and gradually cut. It’s impossible to deny what is going on. For some it’s been difficult to think that our own government would be working so hard to destroy the working people. It’s time to support your union or organize one if and when you get on a job. We need a collective voice, one that’s loud and clear.

28. Laurie December 14, 2011 at 9:37 pm - Reply

I am all for job training and placement. When I was unemployed back in 2006 I had to prove to the Virginia Employment commission that I was actively looking for a job. The form I had to fill out had a question asking me if I had been turned down for a job because of a positive drug test. All that just for $207/week! I strongly oppose drug testing on principal and to force people who are labeled emotionally unstable to take antipsychotic medications. These are drugs which are more harmful then the “drugs” people are being tested for!

29. Helsingkaren December 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm - Reply

Please restore unemployment compensation!!!!!!!!!

30. MKeller December 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm - Reply

Someone mentioned bllions for war, but it is really trillions! For endless war. Eco”terrorists” are in jail but wall street criminals who bankrupted America are getting richer and no laws have been strengthened to prevent it. Now they want to cut unemployment benefits. The war is on us, the American people.

31. Leftflank December 15, 2011 at 12:25 am - Reply

The painful party strikes again. The do-nothing party does do something after all, they continually vote to reduce or rid the working man of any benefit that they have earned while literally helping build this nation.

To be sure, if it’s good for the working class or benefits them in any way, the GOOP will be fighting to end it. It’s almost all that they do.

32. Edwin marvin December 15, 2011 at 1:27 am - Reply

OK assholes, no unemployment insurance extension! Keep your butts in Washington during the Holidays and earn your goddam keep! Your f***en Jerks!

33. Gregtut December 15, 2011 at 1:59 am - Reply

Why I bother is beyoond me. You guys never pay attentiomn to the folks who GAVE YOU YOUR JOB, ONLY THE ONES WHO CONTINUE TO PAY FOR YOUR LESS THAN TRUTHFUL tv ADS. We are as frustrated as a People can get and come next November we will be voting out the ones who voted against US.

34. Kelly December 15, 2011 at 3:01 am - Reply

If benefits are cut and we will no longer be paid to “look for work” what do you say we millions just head to the street and “Occupy Washington”?

35. The AMERICAN VOICE December 15, 2011 at 3:10 am - Reply

I think these “So called Humans” are on some sort of DRUG that alters REALITY!!!! They should’ve given it to the population instead of being so GREEDY and disallowing it to be distributed. I simply cannot wait till ELECTION day!!!! I predict that the “Good Ole Boys Party” is very numbered in days of existance. When that PARTY is finally eliminated WE ALL GAIN OUR COUNTRY BACK!!!!!!…

36. Basil Salah December 15, 2011 at 4:43 am - Reply

It is a sad comentary what you Republicans are doing, OR is it what you are not doing? helping middle class America seems to be the LAST thing on your agenda. This Partisan Politics, from what we think you are saying is an outrage. This is not to constantly try to make Obama a one term president, but a constant ploy to line your pockets with greed and money from the wealthy in this country. You better get all you can, because the next election will be a downfall for everyone of you Republicans, and you will be in the unemployment lines just like us.

• Tigereve December 15, 2011 at 6:33 am - Reply

You KNOW that THEY ARE GETTING ALL THEY CAN!! Just like in 2008 (and ever since, honestly even before 2008) the thieves in power are robbing us blind, every single day, in numerous ventures, and kicking us while we are down; then passing every law and prohibition they can to tie our hands and protect themselves from ever being held accountable for what they’ve done!! WE MUST NOT WAIT until 11/6/2012 before we can stop the hemorrhaging of our economic security. We must put incredible, relentless pressure on the few remaining civil servants who still have a shred of decency, to insist they do the right thing (this includes President Obama)!! Anyone in office who has somehow managed to basically do right by their constituents and has the voting record to show that they have a conscience, needs to be fully supported, encouraged, thanked and empowered (they are swamped in a slimy morass, and must be reinforced to help them stay strong in such a contaminated environment)!! If we insist that illegal dealings be investigated immediately, and in earnestness, this could at least cool down the shenanigans. The vitality of real democracy is an engaged and participating constituency. THEY AREN’T GOING TO DO IT FOR US; WE MUST MAKE THEM DO WHAT WE NEED THEM TO DO!!

37. Tigereve December 15, 2011 at 5:48 am - Reply

I am delighted to see the use of the word treason in several of the proceeding comments; for that is exactly what has been happening. The majority of Republicans have traded in whatever sense of ethics, or honor, their party might have once held, for a self-centered greed that is so callous, manipulative, deceitful and destructive to our nation’s well-being and future, that they are now the true enemies of the United States! No foreign country in contemporary history has come close to doing so much damage to this once strong nation! The Republican Party has become the party of traitors and thieves (and unfortunately, many Democrats have, as well). They not only need to be fired, they need to be tried in the court of law; only even our judicial system has been ravaged by the virus of this sickness that has so sadly corrupted our country. There is much work to be done.

Thank you, thank you OWS 99%, for waking the national conscience, and finally freeing the people’s voices, and empowering them to shout out against the injustices all around us!!! We must be vigilant, determined and endure; this situation did not come about in just a day, and it will take time and unwavering fortitude to clean this mess up! Let’s show ourselves what united means as we work together for the betterment of the 99%: and truthfully even the 1% will be better off, for being immersed in such rampant avarice is no way to live.

38. Vonorn December 15, 2011 at 5:58 am - Reply

These heartless Republicans are using the cruelest darkest sections of Charles Dickens Christmas Carol as their credo.When Scrooge was asked to help the poor,needy and destitute he answered “Are there no prisons are there no work houses? Shocked at scrooges answer,the man said many would prefer to die than face the horror of those dreadful places! Scrooge replied “well they should die quickly and decrease the surface population”.

A Republican Christmas Carol of 2011
    Please Sir Republicans,don’t take my last loaf of stale bread,nor my last candle that keeps death at bay.Please we attempt to find jobs everywhere,but there are none to be found.
    In this time of peace to all and good will to mankind,surely you remember why 2000 years ago
    a man sacrificed his life for all of us.I implore you dear kind Sir Republican’s,to reconsider this cruelest of human folly.What do you reply Kind Sirs?

You ungrateful cur you selfish ignorant peon! how dare you question our decisions?
    We save jobs and make sure you stay safe,from dangerous godless heathens.
    “Are there no prisons to house these jobless,filthy,lazy,drug addicted leeches!?
    Are there no work houses for them to toil in as we do for the betterment of mankind?
    If they insist on eating as poorly as brutish foul pigs,with the free food money they bleed from us, then they should die quickly and decrease the burden on the TRUE god fearing,hard working,drug free, grateful,American born citizens.Now be gone from us or I will have the constable pepper spray your face till its the rosy color of Rudolph’s red nose.!!

Merry Christmas from the one percent
    and to the other ninety-nine percent
    stick your heads up your whining rears
    and truly we implore you
    quickly get bent!!!

39. Beenie December 15, 2011 at 6:47 am - Reply

Republicans are pigs.

40. Forrisl December 15, 2011 at 6:53 am - Reply

Republicans are lower than Whale feces. I have no respect for them.

They have been urinating on the 99% every chance they get. It’s time to vote these un-American scum bags out of office.

41. Timrcorp December 15, 2011 at 8:17 am - Reply

We can no longer afford to let stonewalling Republican plutocrats drive the congressional bus! They have brought nothing to the table in terms of helping the vast majority of Americans who work for a living, or would work for a living if Wall Street hadn’t destroyed our economy for their own short term gain. Americans must have unemployment insurance extended unconditionally to make it through this depression.

42. Lenspano53 December 15, 2011 at 9:35 am - Reply

Len Spano I support given the un employed benifits that helps the ecomony

43. Johnnyuma December 15, 2011 at 9:36 am - Reply

If unemployed workers are required to take a drug test for benefits…then members of congress and the senate should be required to do the same!!! The low life leaders of the GOP (Greed Obsession Party) reap ALL KINDS OF FREE BENEFITS as elected officials. These benefits are paid for by ALL Americans through tax dollars (this includes unemployed workers)
    Enough is enough, I for one, will NEVER vote for a Republican again. There is no longer such a thing as a CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN!!! Have you ever noticed that the so-called conservatives are NEVER conservative when it comes to bailing out big business, the wealthy,
    and the elite who pad their pockets 24-7??? But just look at their voting records when common hard working Americans need help. That is when they suddenly become conservative scumbags!!!!!!!!

44. Mike Hampson December 15, 2011 at 10:18 am - Reply

I just talked to my Representative. The republicans wrote the bill and added an oil pipeline over fresh water reserves which is why it was voted down. My Representative wants to pass an extension but it must be a clean bill.

45. Katherine Connor McKee December 15, 2011 at 10:18 am - Reply

“Ditto” for the Thomas Nash comment .It is perfect and rings true for what has happened to our Congress and Senate.Corporations and the lobbyists who represent them own this country now and “we the people” have become endangered species

46. wmnak December 15, 2011 at 10:51 am - Reply

Our government MUST learn that people, not corporations, drive our economy. A simple Law of Economics: If you don’t have any money you cannot spent it, driving up unemployment, increasing the National Debt, and creating misery throughout our once-great Nation.

47. Justrose12 December 15, 2011 at 11:51 am - Reply

Americians are left out of the job market for two reasons. One the republicians trickle down effect DOES NOT WORK. The rich with their tax cuts do not create jobs. The jobs that are available are taken by illeagle’s. Even constrution & state jobs in IL. Now tell me again how Americians don’t want these jobs. Such BS. Lea Tomassone

48. Tujunga1 December 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Not content to just wreck the country for the 99%, you have to cause even more misery for our unemployed members. WE are the ones who elected you, and WE are the ones who can remove you from office. With all of the obstruction in Congress this past year WE are not going to forget what you haven’t done for our country and those who are struggling to just get by. Your obstruction will not help you win in 2012 and in fact, should guarantee that President Obama will win reelection. After all, he is the only grown-up in the room right now. Hope you’re ashamed of yourselves!

49. Blackgevy December 15, 2011 at 2:03 pm - Reply

We need to keep our citizenry and our economy going by continuing to use this relatively small part of our budget to support all those who need to go on in this wicked job environment. As one who has been unemployed for 18 months, I have personally seen seven companies that wanted to hire me either go under or be unable to financially add to their workforce. In a country with our resources, this is a national disgrace!

50. Ruby2sDay December 15, 2011 at 6:16 pm - Reply

It’s always cuts to programs that real people need and never cuts to corporate welfare. In my state of Maine it is literally impossible to find out what corporations or businesses are getting what amount of welfare.

51. Jeanne Ridenour December 15, 2011 at 10:46 pm - Reply

Fire All the congress members who would walk all over the 98% Make them apply for unemployment.

52. Aagaapee December 15, 2011 at 11:27 pm - Reply

First Mr. Thomas Nass and all other military members (Who have responded to this issue present and past thank you for serving. I am a 99er I did not lose my job ,my job ended because it was a grant position and guess what? They did not have funding to continue the program. I have liquidated all retirement and we all know what means! I am trying to look through my home now to see what I can sell to people who have no money to buy my stuff. lol My son who lives with me is working 6 days a week by asking co-workers if he can do their shifts. His income does not cover our monthly living expenses. He brings home $550 bi- weekly and monthly rent is $720. I for those who will say get a cheaper place. Who has first and last month rent, and or a deposit and a job they can verify that you work. Oh! I forgot I don’t work. After being at my present residence 13 years I asked for a decrease of my rent. I was told they could not do this but they would be happy to let me out of my lease if I could not pay my rent. This is a mixed income complex why neighbor pays $27 per month. I do not go to church so my son will have enough gas to get to work. I have had 4 interviews in my two years of work. (Grant ended on June 2009) I cannot even get a packing or stacking job. It is criminal what are leaders are doing to us as we sit back as lambs to the slaughter. I thank God for the food stamps I get I ration the food the best way I can. Today I tried to make arrangements for payments before the cut of ,of my energy/power of next week. They DK EN would not allow me to set up payments which we could pay. They offered community resource and I told the rep. I had called them all and they had no more funds until January. She then said I do not know what you can do. I thank God and hold on to my faith and trust that God will take care of His children. Plus in all things to keep praying. Thank you all for reading my rampage. Thank you!

53. Mark Baum December 16, 2011 at 9:25 am - Reply

It is said that an object cannot move in opposite directions at the same time; apparently Congress defies the laws of physics, logic and decency. Perhaps we ought to consider Swift’s idea and eat our young, infirm and disposable citizens. Do the right thing and protect those who are the marginalized now!

54. Musicmiss13 December 16, 2011 at 9:33 am - Reply

Are we “one Nation under God,” or, “one Nation under GOLD?”

55. Troi124 December 16, 2011 at 11:57 am - Reply

Is there no way to decommission the Tea Party as an official political party?

56. Chris Frame December 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm - Reply

I’m scared! I have never been poor or out of work. I was by no means rich, but I was able to pay my bills, see a doctor and take my kids to a movie. Now I am afraid to spend any money. We walk over the poor and not look because we don’t want to go their. Well I think we have arrived. Unfortunately politicans didn’t come with us, they voted themselves a raise to ensure their lifestyles. Is this what they call survival of the fitist, if so we better all be scared.

57. Matthew December 16, 2011 at 12:04 pm - Reply

We nee to restore unemployment benifits to thousands of Americans who need it to survive

58. Kmblush December 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm - Reply

I am currently unemployed, and if the Federal benefits are cut, I’m facing a horrible future. I’m actively searching for work, but my local employment opportunities are few and far between. This is just ridiculous!

59. Enigmasweet17 December 17, 2011 at 1:44 pm - Reply

this is simply horrible by all measure and the sorry state we’re in of being unemployed a tragedy

60. Anonymous December 18, 2011 at 6:42 am - Reply

i have been unemployed 3 years and do not receive EDD benefits. My utilities are about to be turned off and I can’t pay my rent. I have three degrees, 10 years of college and $57,000 in student loan debt. If the govt ended the war in Afghanistan it would save billions in funding which could be used to create economic stimulus, provide free healthcare and fix our schools. Want to reduce double digit unemployment? End the war in Afghanistan! Even if politicians don’t care about 18 million unemployed Americans – you want to get re-elected – so do not end the extension of unemployment benefits!

61. Bonsaishanghai December 19, 2011 at 10:04 am - Reply

Freeking Repugnitans are toying with our lives!!!!

62. Marazj December 20, 2011 at 9:29 am - Reply

Try using countries like Switzerland as a model. They are much more successful with this issue by making longevity (the right person in the right job) and job security more of a priority. Unemployment should also work more closely with the unemployed and offer computer classes or other to help people reintegrate into the system.
    ALSO they should make it a federal law that states can’t be “right to work” states which means right to fire on any grounds. That’s a big reason why we have so many unemployed people. The damn companies have too many advantages at the employees expense. They’re firing like crazy now with the repression and to cut back on salaries. That is clearly a problem with the law. My husband and I both got fired within a month of each other this year. We were working for 2 different companies. It’s because of the laxity of the laws protecting people. By the way, we are leaving this God forsaken state and country to move to Switzerland next year.

J M B
    Tucson, Arizona (the SB1070 state unfortunately)

Leave A Response »